|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Operator Qualifications.
(1) The employer shall ensure that only qualified persons who carry valid operator's cards for the tools used be permitted to operate powder-actuated tools.
EXCEPTION: A person who is receiving training may be permitted to operate a powder-actuated tool when under the direct supervision of a qualified instructor.
(2) The operators' cards shall be issued either by qualified instructors who carry a valid, authorized instructor(s) card(s) issued by the tool manufacturer(s) or by persons acceptable to the Division.
(b) Instructor Qualifications.
(1) Qualified instructors shall be trained in accordance with the training requirements established by either the tool manufacturer or by the Powder Actuated Tool Manufacturers Institute (PATMI).
(2) Instructors authorized by the Division shall certify in writing to the Division that they are knowledgeable in the use, maintenance and repair of the tool(s) that is (are) acceptable to the Division and that their instructions will cover applicable safety orders.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 10-16-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 42).
Go Back to Article 27 Table of Contents