| Return to index
(a) Scaffolds of this type are to support not more than three employees and light tools, such as those needed for riveting, bolting, and welding. They shall be constructed as follows, unless substitute designs and materials provide equivalent strength, stability, and safety (See B-38, Appendix).
(1) The platform shall be not less then 3 feet wide and 6 feet long, made of 3/4 inch plywood, equivalent to Douglas Fir Plywood Association Grade A-A Exterior.
(2) Under the platform, there shall be 2 supporting bearers made from 2-inch by 4-inch "selected lumber," or better. They shall be free of knots or other flaws and project 6 inches beyond the platform on both sides. The ends of the platform shall extend about 6 inches beyond the outer edges of the bearers. Each bearer shall be fastened to the platform by at least two 1/2 inch-diameter bolts.
(3) An edging of wood not less than 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 inches, or equivalent, shall be placed around all sides of the platform to prevent tools from rolling off.
(4) Supporting ropes shall be 1-inch-diameter Manila rope, or equivalent, free from deterioration, chemical damage, flaws, or other imperfections. Rope connections shall be such that the platform cannot shift or slip. If two ropes are used with each float, they shall be arranged so as to provide four ends which are to be securely fastened to an overhead support. Each of the two supporting ropes shall be hitched around one end of a bearer and pass under the platforms to the other end of the bearer where it is hitched again, leaving sufficient rope at each end for the supporting ties.
(5) Each employee working from a float scaffold shall be provided with and use fall protection in accordance with the requirements of Article 24.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 11-14-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 46).
2. Renumbering and amendment of former Section 1663 to Section 1665, and renumbering and amendment of Section 1649 to Section 1663 filed 7-24-87; operative 8-23-87 (Register 87, No. 33).
3. Amendment of subsection (a)(5) filed 7-2-98; effective 8-1-98 (Register 98, No. 27).
Go Back to Article 23 Table of Contents