(1) Ground conditions. The ability of the ground to support the equipment (including slope, compaction, and firmness).
(2) Supporting materials. Blocking, mats, cribbing, marsh buggies (in marshes/wetlands), or similar supporting materials or devices.
(b) The equipment must not be assembled or used unless ground conditions are firm, drained, and graded to a sufficient extent so that, in conjunction (if necessary) with the use of supporting materials, the equipment manufacturer's specifications for adequate support and degree of level of the equipment are met. The requirement for the ground to be drained does not apply to marshes/wetlands.
(c) The controlling entity shall:
(1) Ensure that ground preparations necessary to meet the requirements in subsection (b) are provided.
(2) Inform the user of the equipment and the operator of the location of hazards beneath the equipment set-up area (such as voids, tanks, utilities) if those hazards are identified in documents (such as site drawings, as-built drawings, and soil analyses) that are in the possession of the controlling entity (whether at the site or off-site) or the hazards are otherwise known to that controlling entity.
(d) If there is no controlling entity for the project, the requirement in subsection (c)(1) shall be met by the employer that has authority at the site to make or arrange for ground preparations needed to meet subsection (b).
(e) If the A/D director or the operator determines that ground conditions do not meet the requirements in subsection (b), that person's employer shall have a discussion with the controlling entity regarding the ground preparations that are needed so that, with the use of suitable supporting materials/devices (if necessary), the requirements in subsection (b) can be met.
(f) This section does not apply to cranes designed for use on railroad tracks when used on railroad tracks that are part of the general railroad system of transportation that is regulated pursuant to the Federal Railroad Administration under 49 CFR part 213 and that comply with applicable Federal Railroad Administration requirements.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-7-2011; operative 7-7-2011. Exempt from OAL review pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2011, No. 27).