Division of Workers’ Compensation posts lien filing instructions
The Division of Workers’ Compensation has posted step by step instructions on new lien filing requirements which go into effect January 1, 2013 as part of its implementation for Senate Bill 863.
An “at a glance” guide is included so that those filing or activating liens can refer to easily:
Filing a Lien
How to file a lien for medical treatment expenses and pay the lien filing fee:
- Anyone filing a lien for reasonable medical expenses incurred by the injured employee and filed on or after Jan. 1, 2013 is required to pay a lien filing fee of $150.
- The lien must be filed electronically by one of two methods: : E-Form or Jet File.
To file by Jet File follow the procedures in the EAMS JET file Business Rules and Technical Specifications.
Failure to pay the lien filing fee will result in the lien being invalid and will not be considered filed.
- To file by E-Form follow the procedures in the EAMS E-Form Filing Reference Guide.
Activating a Lien
How to activate a lien and pay the activation fee:
- A $100 fee must be paid for any medical treatment expense lien filed prior to Jan. 1, 2013 in the following situations:
- A lien claimant files a DOR for a lien conference
- On or before a lien conference if the lien claimant did not file a DOR
- To activate and pay for a lien by E-form or JET File use the step by step instructions.
- All liens will be dismissed as a matter of law if the activation fee is not paid by Jan. 1, 2014.