Cal/OSHA Branches & Units
- Amusement Ride and Tramway
- Asbestos and Carcinogen
- Heat and Agriculture Program
- High Hazard
- Labor Enforcement Task Force
- Mining and Tunneling
- Pressure Vessel
- Process Safety Management
- Research and Standards
Confined Space Emphasis Program
What can be done to prevent confined space accidents?
Refer to the specific standard for your industry and operations (see “Confined Space Regulations, above).
Employers are also required to have:
- A written confined space plan, including recognizing and marking all confined spaces on site;
- Procedures to test and monitor the air inside confined spaces before and during all employee entries;
- Procedures to prevent unauthorized entries and to have an attendant outside the space at all times;
- Effective controls of all existing atmospheric or safety hazards inside the confined space;
- Employee and supervisor training on safe work procedures, hazard controls, and rescue procedures; and
- Effective rescue procedures which are immediately available on site.