Cal/OSHA Now Hiring: Deputy Chief of Consultation, Process Safety, and Engineering Services
The mission of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health, better known as Cal/OSHA is to protect and improve the health and safety of working men and women in California and the safety of passengers riding on elevators, amusement rides, and tramways - through the following activities:
- Setting and enforcing standards
- Providing outreach, education, and assistance
- Issuing permits, licenses, certifications, registrations, and approvals
Cal/OSHA is seeking a qualified and highly dedicated individual to lead its Consultation Services Branch, Process Safety Management Unit, and Engineering Services Units that include, Elevators, Amusement Rides and Tramways, and Pressure Vessels.
Please join us in building an inclusive and culturally diverse workplace at all levels of the Department.
Under the general direction of the Chief of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health; the Deputy Chief is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the Division’s Consultation Services, Process Safety Management, and Engineering Services (Elevators, Pressure Vessels, and Amusement Rides and Tramways).
The Deputy Chief manages the senior management team comprised of the Consultation Services Program Manager (CEA A), Process Safety Management Manager (CEA B), Principal Safety Engineer over Elevator Engineering Services, Principal Safety Engineer over Pressure Vessels Engineering Services, and the Regional Manager for Amusement Rides and Tramways, to formulate the policies and procedures for these program operations in support of the division.
The position is in California with the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR), headquartered in the beautiful Elihu Harris Building located in Oakland, CA. The position may be staffed at headquarters or one of the Cal/OSHA program offices strategically located throughout the state and will consist of both in-office and tele-work due to travel being suspended, except for a designated urgent need. California is known for its theaters, waterfront dining, outdoor sports, technological and agricultural innovations, and modern wonders such as the Chabot Space & Science Center located in Oakland. The Oakland headquarters is centrally situated in the Bay Area with easy access on the Bay Area Rapid Transportation (BART) rail system, a short drive to the state capitol in Sacramento or historic San Francisco, Napa wine country, Lake Tahoe winter sports, and other beautiful cities in California.
The Ideal Candidate
The Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) is looking for an effective leader and diplomatic individual with exceptional interpersonal skills. A viable candidate would have strong ethical commitment, a high level of personal integrity, sound judgement, and quality decision making skills. In addition, the DIR is seeking a seasoned professional with:
- Demonstrated transparency
- Experience with efficient and effective policy development and rule-making in the areas of health and safety and the stated engineering services
- Experience in testifying in local, legislative, executive or judicial hearings on policy matters
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships with federal, state, and local entities
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships with federal, state, and local communities
- Demonstrated commitment and innovation related to diversity, inclusion, and equity policies and procedures.
The annual salary range for this position is $154,380 - $172,008.
A comprehensive benefits package is also offered which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Pension plan
- 401(k)/457 retirement plans
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending account to save on medical and child care expenses
- Paid vacation and holidays
If you are interested in this outstanding opportunity, please:
- Submit your application for appointment via the link below:
- Email your resume to Morgan.Carvajal@gov.ca.gov with “Cal/OSHA Deputy Chief” in the subject line
Candidates will be advised of the status of the recruitment following the selection of the Deputy Chief.
If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to email Morgan Carvajal at Morgan.Carvajal@gov.ca.gov.