Am I working in a safe environment?
your employer to provide you with training about health and
safety on your jobsite.
Avoid injury and illness by following these safety precautions:
• Use safety equipment and wear protective clothing
• Report unsafe or broken equipment and safety hazards
to your supervisor.
• Laws protect you from unsafe working conditions no
matter what your immigration status.
• Ask your employer to provide you with training about
health and safety on your jobsite.
Am I allowed to work in this
If you are under 18 you may not:
• Drive a motor vehicle on public streets as part of
• Use powered equipment such as a circular saw or box
• Drive a forklift.
• Work in logging or a sawmill.
If you are under 16 you may not:
• Work in the building, construction or manufacturing
• Work on a ladder or scaffold.
• Load or unload a truck or conveyor.
Do I need a work permit?
If you are under 18 you must have a permit to work. Ask your
school to issue you a permit and take it to your employer.
Am I being paid at least minimum
You must be paid at least the minimum wage, currently $9.00
per hour and applicable overtime rates.
How late can I work on a school
Until 10 p.m. if you are 16 or 17.
Laws protect workers under age 18 from working too long, too
late or too early.
Report sexual harassment or discrimination to your supervisor,
a co-worker, parent or teacher.
or call 1-888-933-TEEN (8336)
California Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) www.dir.ca.gov