(a) Suitable fire control devices, such as small hose or portable fire extinguishers, shall be available at locations where flammable or combustible liquids are stored.
(1) At least one portable fire extinguisher having a rating of not less than 20-B units shall be located outside of, but not more than 10 feet from, the door opening into any room used for storage.
(2) At least one portable fire extinguisher having a rating of not less than 20-B units shall be located not less than 10 feet, or more than 25 feet, from any Category 1, 2, or 3 flammable liquid storage area located outside of a storage room but inside a building.
(b) When sprinklers are provided, they shall be installed in an approved manner.
NOTE: For information on proper sprinkler system installation, consult the California Fire Code, California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Section 903.3 “Installation Requirements” for Automatic Sprinkler Systems and/or your local jurisdiction fire department.
(c) Open flames and smoking shall not be permitted in flammable or combustible liquid storage areas.
(d) Materials which will react with water shall not be stored in the same room with flammable or combustible liquids.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
2. Amendment of subsection (b), including new Note , amendment of subsection (d) and amendment of statutory authority Note filed 7-23-2013; operative 10-1-2013 (Register 2013, No. 30).
3. Amendment of section and new Note filed 5-5-2014; operative 5-6-2014 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2014, No. 19).