|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Rivet Setting Equipment shall be guarded in a manner that will accomplish the following:
(1) Restrain the operator(s) from inadvertently reaching into the point of operation, or
(2) Inhibit machine operation if the operator's hand or hands are inadvertently within or placed within the point of operation, or
(3) Automatically withdraw the operator's hands if they are inadvertently within the point of operation.
(b) Devices or guards that will accomplish (a)(1), (2) or (3) above include, but are not restricted to those listed below:
(1) Presence-sensing device
(2) Holdout or restraint devices
(3) Pullout devices
(4) Two-hand control devices (see 4211)
(5) Type A gate or movable barrier devices
(6) Fixed barrier guard (see 4207)
(7) Any other system of guards, automatic or semi-automatic feeds, etc., that will allow the material to be worked and effectively prevent the operator's hand(s) from entering or being in the point of operation during the die-closing portion of the press stroke.
(8) When the nature of the work or size and/or shape of material being worked is such that compliance with the provisions of Section 4216(b)(1) through (7) is not practical, the employer shall ensure compliance with the following:
(A) The operator shall be qualified, and
(B) The operator maintains a safe distance from the point of operation through the use of hand tools or the size and/or shape of the material being worked so that the operator's hands never enter the point of operation.
(c) Inch. The inch operating means shall be designed to prevent exposure of the worker's hands within the point of operation.
(d) Point of operation guards and devices shall comply with applicable sections of this Article.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 11-17-82; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 82, No. 47).
2. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 10-31-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 44).
Go Back to Article 55 Table of Contents