|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(b) The load capacity for special access elevators installed after Sept. 28, 2001 shall be not less than 750 lb., and have a minimum of 32 in. x 54 in. clear inside platform dimensions.
(1) Special access elevators without a front and rear opening that facilitates a straight through ingress/egress shall have a load capacity of not less than 750 lb., and a maximum 18 sq. ft. clear inside net platform area. The clear inside platform width dimensions may range from 42 inches minimum to 48 inches maximum on one side by 60 inches maximum to 54 inches minimum length on the other side.
(A) When the platform minimum width of 42 inches is increased, the platform maximum 60 inch length shall be decreased by the number of inches that the width has been increased (see table below).
Varying Platform Size
Width x Length
42 x 60
43 x 59
44 x 58
45 x 57
46 x 56
47 x 55
48 x 54
(2) The platform/car shall be equipped with handrail(s) complying with Title 24, Section 7-3003. The clear inside net platform area shall be calculated by multiplying the platform width by the platform length without consideration of the space occupied by the handrails.
(3) The opening and closing of car doors shall not encroach on the car platform inside clear space.
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3093.46)
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-22-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 36).
2. Amendment of section heading and section filed 8-29-2001; operative 9-28-2001
(Register 2001, No. 35).
Go Back to Article 15 Table of Contents