(a) Whenever any lien claimant obtains representation by an attorney or a non-attorney, changes such representation, or such representation ceases, the lien claimant shall provide written notice to: (1) the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board; (2) the injured employee and the dependent(s) of a deceased employee or, if represented, to the attorney or non-attorney representative of the employee or dependent(s); and (3) each defendant and each defendant's attorney or non-attorney representative, if any. The written notice shall be accompanied by a proof of service made under penalty of perjury.
(b) The notice shall:
(1) caption the case title (i.e., the name of the injured employee and the name of the defendant or primary defendant(s)) and the adjudication case number(s) to which the notice relates;
(2) set forth the full legal name, mailing address, and telephone number of the lien claimant; and
(3) set forth the full legal name, mailing address, and telephone number of the initial or new attorney or non-attorney representative or, where a lien claimant becomes self-represented, the name of the former attorney or non-attorney representative.
(c) The notice shall be filed and served within five working days of when: (1) a self-represented lien claimant obtains an attorney or a non-attorney representative; (2) a represented lien claimant changes to a new attorney or non-attorney representative; or (3) a represented lien claimant becomes self-represented.
(d) The notice shall be verified by a declaration under penalty of perjury stating: “I declare under penalty of perjury that the statements and information contained in this notice are true and correct.”
(e) Notices of Representation and Notices of Change of Representation:
Whenever a lien claimant obtains or changes representation to an attorney, the lien claimant's duties, as set forth in subdivisions (a) through (d), may be satisfied by notice of representation or change of representation filed and served by the attorney. If the attorney assuming representation files and serves such a notice, the provisions of subdivision (e)(1) through (e)(7) shall not apply.
In all other instances, the lien claimant shall comply with the following procedures:
(1) Where a self-represented lien claimant obtains a representative, a “Notice of Representation” shall be filed. Where a represented lien claimant changes to a new representative, a “Notice of Change of Representation” shall be filed.
(2) If a lien claimant becomes represented by or changes representation less than five working days before a scheduled hearing or if, for any reason, a copy of the notice of representation or change of representation does not appear in the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board's record by the time of hearing, a copy of the fully executed notice shall be lodged with the workers' compensation judge presiding over the hearing and shall be concurrently personally served on each party or lien claimant appearing at the hearing or, if represented, their appearing attorney or non-attorney representative.
(3) The notice of representation or change of representation is required even if the initial or new representative has signed or is signing a pleading on behalf of the lien claimant.
(4) The lien claimant and the representative who is assuming representation must each sign and date the notice of representation or change of representation before the relationship shall become effective.
If the lien claimant or the representative is a partnership, corporation, or other organization, the notice of representation or change of representation may be signed by a corporate officer, partner, or fiduciary under a statement certifying that the person signing has the authority to sign.
(5) If no fully executed notice of representation or change of representation has been filed at or before the time of any hearing:
(A) the lien claimant shall be deemed not to be represented even if a representative who purportedly has assumed representation appears; and
(B) if the lien claimant does not otherwise appear at the hearing, it shall be subject to all of the consequences of a failure to appear.
(6) A notice of representation or change of representation shall not be filed for the sole purpose of allowing a third party agent, such as a copy service, to sign and issue a subpoena or subpoena duces tecum under Labor Code section 130, Labor Code section 5710, or Rule 10530 et seq.
(7) The notice of representation or change of representation shall contain each of the following, verified under penalty of perjury:
(A) a declaration executed by both the lien claimant and by the representative assuming representation stating: “I declare that the named initial or new representative has consented to represent the interests of the named lien claimant and that the named lien claimant has consented to this representation.”;
(B) a declaration executed by both the lien claimant and by the representative assuming representation stating one of the following, as appropriate:
(i) “This representation began on ___________, __, 20___. I am not aware of any other attorney or non-attorney who was previously representing the lien claimant.”; or
(ii) “This representation began on: ___________, __, 20___. I am aware that ________________________________________________ [specify person or entity] was previously representing the lien claimant. This Notice of Change of Representation supersedes a previous Notice of Representation dated _________________________, 20____. I hereby certify that I have notified the previous attorney or non-attorney representative in writing of the change of representation.
(C) a declaration executed by the representative stating: “By signing below, I affirm that I am not disqualified from appearing under Labor Code section 4907, WCAB Rule 10779 (Cal. Code Regs., tit. 8, § 10779) or by any other Rule, order, or decision of the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, the State Bar of California, or court.”
(f) Notice of Non-Representation:
(1) If a lien claimant's representation by an attorney or non-attorney representative terminates for any reason (including but not limited to the attorney or non-attorney's discharge or death, or the suspension or removal of the attorney's or non-attorney's right to appear) and the lien claimant does not concurrently execute a notice of change of representation, the lien claimant shall be deemed self-represented and shall file and serve a “Notice of Non-Representation.”
(2) The notice of non-representation shall comply with the provisions of subsections (a) through (d), above.
Note: Authority: Sections 133, 5307, 5309 and 5708, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 4903(a), 4903.6(b), 4906, 4907, 5501, and 5700; Sections 284, 285 and 286, Code of Civil Procedure; and Sections 10774 and 10779, title 8, California Code of Regulations.
1. New section filed 9-23-2013; operative 10-23-2013. Submitted as a file and print by the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board pursuant to Government Code section 11351 (Register 2013, No. 39).