Article 8. Machinery and Equipment for
Power Cable-Driven Passenger and Freight
Amend Section 3040(b)(5) to read:
§3040. Operating Devices and Control Equipment.
* * * *
(b) Electrical Protective Devices. Electrical protective devices shall be provided in accordance with the following:
* * * *
(5) Emergency Stop Switch. An emergency stop switch shall be provided in the car,
and located in or adjacent to the car operating panel.
When opened, this switch
shall cause the electric power to be removed from the elevator driving-machine motor and
brake independently of the operation of the operating device and the leveling device.
EXCEPTION: Passenger elevator cars with an in-car stop switch that comply with the requirements in Section 3040(b)(5)(B) below.
(A) Emergency stop switches shall:
1. When opened, cause the electric power to be removed from the elevator
driving-machine motor and brake independently of the operation of the operating device and
the leveling device.
(A) 2. Be of the manually opened and closed type.
(B) 3. Have red operating handles or buttons.
(C) 4. Be conspicuously and permanently marked, "STOP."
(D) 5. Be positively opened mechanically and their opening shall not be solely dependent on springs.
(B) In-car stop switch.
1. An in-car stop switch shall be permitted in passenger elevator cars with enclosures constructed of solid material from the floor to the car top.
2. The in-car stop switch shall be either key operated or behind a locked panel.
3. The in-car stop switch shall be clearly marked "STOP" and shall indicate the stop and run positions.
4. The in-car stop switch shall comply with Sections 3040(b)(5)(A)1 and (b)(5)(A)5.
5. The elevator controls shall be arranged so the car will not move, level, or advance start, unless the hoistway door interlocks and the car door contacts are in the closed position, except for the required releveling or anti-creep.
6. The car door contacts shall be adjusted so the closed position is not more than one inch.
7. The keys for the in-car stop switch shall be available for use by maintenance and inspection personnel.
8. The Division shall be notified when an emergency stop switch in a passenger
elevator is replaced with an in-car stop switch. The Division shall inspect the in-car
stop switch before the passenger elevator is placed in service.
EXCEPTION: Existing shipper rope elevators are not required to have emergency stop switches.
* * * *
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3040)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.