CHAPTER 4, SUBCHAPTER 4, ARTICLE 10
CONSTRUCTION SAFETY ORDERS
SECTION 1596(b), (f) AND (h)
ROLL-OVER PROTECTIVE STRUCTURES (ROPS) AND PROTECTIVE ENCLOSURES
(1) When the term "approved" is used in these orders, it shall refer to products, materials, devices, systems, or installations that have been approved, listed, labeled, or certified as conforming to applicable governmental or other nationally recognized standards, or applicable scientific principals. The approval, listing, labeling, or certification of conformity, shall be based upon an evaluation performed by a person, firm, or entity with appropriate registered engineering competence or by a person, firm, or entity, independent of the manufacturer or supplier of the product, with demonstrated competence in the field of such evaluation.
EXCEPTION: Where written approval by the Division is required in these orders.
(2) The term "approved" shall also refer to products, materials, devices, systems, or installations that have been approved, listed, labeled, or certified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
(b) The division may require proof in addition to that under (a) that the products, materials, devices, systems, or installations will provide reasonable safety under the conditions of use.
(c) When these orders require an approval of products, materials, devices, systems, or installations and that approval is not available under (a), it will be necessary to submit to the division engineering calculations, stress analyses, and other data for each design, model, or make for which an approval is requested. The division will then approve or disapprove the product, material, device, system, or installation as submitted or under specified conditions.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
Amend Section 1596(b), (f) and (h) to read:
§ 1596. Roll-Over Protective Structures (ROPS).
(b) ROPS Approval
Design Criteria. ROPS shall be approved
for their intended use as defined in Section 1505 of these Orders. in
compliance with or equivalent to SAE Recommended Practice J-1040-a, February, 1975 for
equipment manufactured on or after April 1, 1971, or J1040c, April, 1979.
EXCEPTION: See Section 1596(i).
(f) Labeling. Each ROPS shall bear a label with the following information:
(1) Name and address of manufacturer.
(2) Manufacturers ROPS model number.
(3) Make and model of equipment for which the ROPS is designed.
(4) A statement of compliance with SAE Recommended Practice J-1040-a, February,
1975, J-1040-c, April, 1979 or the requirements of the California Construction Safety
Orders Section 1596(d) or Federal OSHA Standard 1926.1000(c)(2).
Labels shall be stamped plates or other permanently attached means of identification, and shall not be obscured, obliterated or changed.
(h) Wheel-type Agricultural or Industrial Tractors.
(1) ROPS and seat belts shall be installed and used on all wheel-type agricultural or industrial tractors used in construction in accordance with the installation schedule in Section 1596(a)(1).
(2) The ROPS specified above shall
meet the appropriate ASAE Standard or SAE
Recommended Practice or equivalent; among these are ASAE S. 306.5, February 1974; ASAE S.
310.2, February, 1974; SAE J-334-b, February, 1974; SAE J-167-a, February, 1974; or SAE
J-167 June, 1981; and SAE J-1040-a, February, 1975, or SAE J-1040-c, 1979. be
approved for their intended use as defined in Section 1505.
(3) Protective enclosures, if used shall
meet the requirements of ASAE
Standard S. 336.1, February, 1974, or SAE Recommended Practice J-168-a, February, 1974.
be approved for their intended use as defined in Section 1505.
(4) ROPS approvals granted for wheel-type agricultural or industrial tractors will remain effective for the specified models of equipment for which they were granted, unless revoked for cause. These ROPS shall bear a label with their California State Approval Number.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
EXISTING REGULATORY LANGUAGE, FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES