Division of Apprenticeship Standards
Annual Report - 1995
DAS Equal Opportunity and Outreach Activities
At the end of calendar year 1995, registered apprentices totaled
41,360, of this number 47.7 percent were minorities and 10.8 percent
The decline of registered apprentices, as a result of the economic
recession, from a high in 1990 of 49,484, to a low of 36,128 in
1993 has reversed. In 1995 there was a 5.5 percent increase in
registered apprentices, a 8.8 percent increase in registered minority
apprentices and a 6.3 percent increase in registered women apprentices,
through the efforts of the DAS, CAC and the Joint Task Force to
improve the percentages of women in the construction occupations,
women in construction apprenticeship programs have fared somewhat
better than apprenticeship participation as a whole.
Included in this report are Exhibits 1 through 5 for the years
of 1991 through 1995, showing the number of apprentices--including
numbers and percentages for minorities and women--registered
in each apprenticeship program having five or more apprentices
and the number of apprentices who completed their programs.
- Initiated and helped implement a pilot program with the Sacramento
Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA), a pilot program called
the Office of Equal Opportunity in Construction the purpose is
to enable construction contractors access to a trained, job ready
labor pool and to secure employment for women and minorities on
local construction projects awarded to the city, county or SHRA.
- Attended the Annual Career Fair held at Fresno City College
which included participation by the Central Valley Machinists,
Central Valley Painters and Tapers, Central Valley Roofers, and
the Fresno Sheet Metal JATCs.
- Worked with the Fresno County Economic Opportunities Commission
to establish a link with all Fresno JATCs with various EOC outreach
- Worked with and participated in the Los Angeles County Acoustical
Installer JATC's outreach and recruitment efforts at a
number of High School Career Days in Los Angeles County.
- Worked with the Tile and Marble Finishers JAEC in their efforts
to provide information about their entrance requirements and application
process for publication in the Tile Industry News magazine.
- Participated in the Southern California Glaziers and Glassworkers
Industry JAC/ outreach and recruitment efforts at the East Los
Angeles Skills Center, Industry Student Connections, Joblinks
at Abram Friedman Occupational Center, Long Beach Displaced Homemaker
Resource Center, National Association of Women in Construction
and Ventura County Joblinks Program.
- Participated with the Santa Monica and Bay Area Plumbers and
Steamfitters JAC in several High School Career Days.
- In Oakland, participated in a community oriented workshop
at the Cypress Mandela Training Center providing information about
apprenticeship opportunities within each trade.
- In San Francisco, participated in a workshop hosted by the
Metals Trades Training Center at San Francisco Hunters Point Shipyard.
The Training Center is designed to prepare residents of the Hunters
Point area for apprenticeship jobs at the Hunters Point Naval
- Participated in the Marin City Building Trades Outreach Program
which provides training to Marin City Residents.
- Participated with representatives from apprenticeship programs
in the Santa Clara County Nontraditional Job Fair for Women held
at the Old Convention Center in San Jose.
- Worked with the San Diego Coordinators in organizing and promoting
the hands-on "Non-Traditional Career Fair" which
is sponsored by San Diego Coordinators, San Diego High Schools
and Gender Equity that was held at the Naval Training Station.
- Met with Esperanza High School to explain apprenticeship and
encourage teachers and counselors to promote apprenticeship with
women and minority students.
- Made presentations on apprenticeship, with emphasis on the
recruitment of women, to EDD placement and Job Service supervisors
from Orange, Los Angeles and Riverside offices.
[- Previous Page -] | [- Top of Reference -] | [- Front Page -] | [- Next Page -]
Back to DIR Menu