I want to . . .
- Apply for a position as a state mediator
- Apply to join the SMCS panel of private arbitrators
- Contact SMCS
- File a wage claim (to DLSE)
- Find out more about SMCS’ private arbitrator panel
- Make a payment to SMCS
- Report labor violations (to DLSE)
- Request an arbitration list
- Request mediation
- See available publications
- California Labor & Workforce Development Agency
- DIR Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
- National Academy of Arbitrators
- California Public Employee Relations (CPER),
- Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service
- National Mediation Board
How to request mediation
SMCS mediates disputes between employee organizations and employers. To initiate mediation, one or both parties should simply contact the Oakland office of SMCS either by phone or in writing. A mediator will be assigned and will contact the parties to schedule dates.
As an alternative, the parties may mutually agree to request the services of a particular mediator, and may contact that person directly.