February 23, 2007

Christine Baker

CHSWC Approves Release of Draft Background Paper on UEBTF

OAKLAND -- The California Commission on Health and Safety and Workers' Compensation (CHSWC) has approved the release of the Draft CHSWC Background Paper on the Uninsured Employer Benefits Trust Fund (UEBTF) for distribution and feedback. The UEBTF was established to provide for the payment of workers' compensation benefits to injured employees of illegally uninsured employers. The Draft CHSWC Background Paper addresses concerns of the workers' compensation community about the UEBTF regarding access by injured workers and contributions to the UEBTF by insured and self-insured employers.

Key recommendations included in the Draft CHSWC Background Paper are: to continue and expand efforts to ensure that all employers comply with the requirement to provide workers' compensation coverage; continue efforts to provide convenient and rapid public access to workers' compensation insurance coverage information; ensure that proof of coverage data are presented in a standardized, uniform format so as to be easily utilized; encourage reporting of suspected illegally uninsured employers to appropriate enforcement agencies; and improve methods to help workers access benefits from the UEBTF.

CHSWC, created by the workers' compensation reform legislation of 1993, is charged with overseeing the health and safety and workers' compensation systems in California and recommending administrative or legislative modifications to improve their operation. CHSWC was established to conduct a continuing examination of the workers' compensation system and of the state's activities to prevent industrial injuries and occupational diseases and to examine those programs in other states.

Information about CHSWC and the draft background paper on the UEBTF may be accessed on the Internet at CHSWC's home page at Information may also be obtained by writing to CHSWC at 1515 Clay Street, Suite 901, Oakland, California, 94612, by calling (510) 622-3959, by faxing a request to (510) 622-3265, or by email at