- View or download wage orders
- Find out which wage order pertains to my occupation
- Attend a public meeting
- Ask a question about wage orders
- Get information on terms of employment
Notice of public meeting
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
REVISED NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
INDUSTRIAL WELFARE COMMISSION
July 5, 2006
In accordance with Labor Code Sections 1173, 1176.3(a)(1), 1178, and, 1178.5, the Industrial Welfare Commission ("IWC") will hold a public hearing and a public meeting on July 5, 2006 regarding the adequacy of the minimum wage and the petitions and letter to raise the minimum wage in California.
The public hearing will be held in Sacramento at the Cal/EPA Building, Byron Sher Auditorium, 1001 I Street. The hearing will commence at 10:00 a.m. and will conclude at 3 p.m. or when all testimony has been heard, whichever occurs first.
The public meeting will be held at the same location and will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and will reconvene immediately following the public hearing.
PUBLIC MEETING AGENDA
8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
1. Consideration of and possible action on a petition from the California Labor Federation dated May 30, 2006, requesting the IWC conduct a review to raise and index the minimum wage. The IWC will either: (a) set the matter for hearing at the Public Hearing scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on July 5, 2006, to accept public testimony as to the adequacy of the minimum wage; or (b) deny the petition.
2. Consideration of and possible action on a petition from State Treasurer Philip Angelides, dated June 1, 2006, requesting the IWC conduct a review to raise and index the minimum wage. The IWC will either: (a) set the matter for hearing at the Public Hearing scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on July 5, 2006, to accept public testimony as to the adequacy of the minimum wage; or (b) deny the petition.
3. Consideration of and possible action on a petition from Barry Broad, dated June 2, 2006, requesting the IWC review and amend Wage Orders 1, 4, 7, 9, and 14 to: (A) eliminate the exemption from overtime for commercial drivers whose hours of service are regulated by the United States Department of Transportation or the California Highway Patrol; and (B) add language to specify that the overtime provisions are applicable to independent contractor commercial drivers. The IWC will either: (a) set the matter for a public hearing on the date of the next scheduled IWC meeting; or (b) deny the petition.
10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. or whenever all testimony has been heard
(whichever occurs first)
1. Public hearing as part of IWC’s investigation to determine whether to call a wage board to study the adequacy of the present minimum wage.
The present minimum wage is established at $6.75 an hour in the IWC’s industrial and occupational wage orders and in Minimum Wage Order 2001. The purpose of the hearing is to determine whether the present minimum wage may be inadequate to supply the cost of proper living to employees.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Any interested person may speak or present information on minimum wage issues at the hearing. When written statements have been submitted, it is not necessary to present them orally. Written materials, preferably eight (8) copies, should be mailed as far in advance of the hearing as possible to:
Industrial Welfare Commission, 801 K Street, Suite 2100, Sacramento, CA 95814
PUBLIC MEETING AGENDA
Immediately following the public hearing
1. Approval of minutes for the public meeting held June 2, 2006.
2. Consideration and finding by the IWC regarding adequacy of the minimum wage based on IWC investigation.
3. Appointment of the members of a wage board established to review the adequacy of California's current minimum wage, if the IWC finds that wages may be inadequate to supply the cost of proper living.
4. Consideration of the charge to the wage board established to review the adequacy of California's current minimum wage.
5. Closed session pursuant to Government Code section 11126(e): Pending litigation: Small et al. v. The Superior Court of California et al., Court of Appeal, Fourth App. Dist., Div. 3, Case No. G037041
6. Any new business that may come before the IWC.
For further information, you can visit the IWC's website at www.dir.ca.gov/iwc. You can also contact Stephanie Leach at (916) 322-2206 or send a letter to IWC, 801 K Street, Suite 2100, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Daniel Curtin, Chair
Willie Washington, Commissioner
Timothy Cremins, Commissioner
Leslee Coleman, Commissioner
Harold Rose, Commissioner
Special accommodations (i.e., sign language, accessible seating) may be requested by contacting IWC at (916) 322-2206 at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting date.
June 8, 2006