DIVISION OF OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH
POLICY AND PROCEDURES MANUAL
ESTABLISHMENT NAMES AND ADDRESSES
Issue Date: 6/2/92
AUTHORITY: Not applicable.
POLICY: It is the policy of the Division of Occupational Safety
and Health to standardize all establishment names and addresses
in order to compile an accurate citation history for a particular
A. IMPORTANCE OF STANDARDIZED ESTABLISHMENT CODING
- After transmission of data which is entered at the
District Office, the Integrated Management Information
System (IMIS) host computer converts all alphabetical
letters entered, regardless of case, to upper case.
- All compliance personnel and Office Support Staff shall
data enter all establishment names and addresses
consistently using both upper and lower case letters as
14324 Main St
Somewhere CA 90250
B. GENERAL DATA ENTRY RULES
- The establishment name is the legal name of the
establishment. For a sole proprietorship or a
partnership, enter the trading name of the
establishment. For a corporation, enter the name of
the corporation, unless a subsidiary of the corporation
controls the establishment inspected. In that case,
enter the name of the subsidiary.
- If an employer is doing business under a name other
than the legal name of the establishment, both names
may be entered, using the "dba" (doing business as) or
"aka" (also known as) abbreviation.
Enter the legal name first followed by the dba or aka
name as follows:
Pioneer Steel dba Jackson Steel Works
- If a complaint (Cal/OSHA Form 7) or accident (Cal/OSHA
Form 36) is reported and no establishment name can be
given, enter the word "UNKNOWN" in the establishment
name on the Forms 7 or 36 to indicate no establishment
NOTE: If a Cal/OSHA Form 1 is subsequently
submitted with the "KNOWN" name, you must link the
Cal/OSHA Form 1 to the "UNKNOWN" activity number
and modify the establishment record.
- Where an activity pertains to a particular division or
section of a company, and the establishment linkage is
to be maintained on the whole establishment, put the
establishment name first followed by the division.
St Regis Paper Co Kraft Div
US Steel Allied Mill
- Where a subsidiary is inspected and the name of the
parent company is to be reflected in the inspection
record, but the establishment linkage is to be
maintained at the subsidiary level, put the subsidiary
level first, followed by the parent name.
Maxwell House Div of General Foods
- If the words below are to be abbreviated, use the
|Assoc -- Associated ||Jt -- Joint|
|Bros -- Brothers ||Div -- Division|
|Constr -- Construction ||Elem -- Elementary|
|Contr -- Contractor(s) ||Muni -- Municipal|
|Ind -- Industries ||Dept -- Department|
|Mfg -- Manufacturing || |
- The words "company," "corporation," and "incorporated"
are handled the same, whether or not they are
abbreviated. Where a state name is part of the
establishment name, use either of the following formats
- Abbreviations will be used wherever possible in
addresses. The following are standard abbreviations
NOTE: Please inform your Regional IMIS Coordinator when
you use other abbreviations which are not on the list
above and he/she will add it to the list so that all
district offices are using the same ones.
- When an establishment name starts with two initials, the
initials will be separated with no periods--only spaces
H D Johnson Construction
- For names that include an individual's first name, the first
name precedes the last name.
Joe Jones Construction
- If a company name has three or more initials, the initials
will be combined with no spaces between them.
- When entering names with Mc, please enter as one word.
McDonnell Douglas McDonald's
- Those companies with an apostrophe in the name will retain the
- Use an ampersand, "&," and not the word "and" where applicable.
Jenkins & Sons Co
- When numbers are part of an establishment name, enter them the
way the trading name of the establishment is written. If the
establishment uses numerals, do not spell out the number.
Use numerals preceded by a pound sign to indicate a particular
3XTS Body Shop
T G & Y Stores #1483
- When entering California State Agencies, use the following
method. State of, and Department of, no longer needs to be
used for data entry into IMIS.
CA Industrial Relations-DOSH
CA Consumer Affairs-Dental
CA Employment Development Board
CA Contractors License Board
CA Highway Patrol
CA Industrial Relations-Labor Comm.
CA Judicial Council
CA Attorney General-Audits
- When entering county agencies, follow this format:
Sacramento County Public Works
Los Angeles County District Attorney
Napa County Public Works-Water Dist
- When entering city or local agencies, use the full name of the
city where possible.
Torrance Building Dept
NOTE: If your city or county is too long, you may abbreviate
it as long as it is entered the same way every time.
San Francisco Parks and Recreation
SF Parks and Recreation
- For universities and colleges, use the following:
UC Santa Barbara
Cal State System:
UC San Francisco
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State Fresno
Cal State Berkeley
Cal State Fullerton
San Francisco City College
La Canada City College
Fresno City Schools
Greenbrae Middle School
Hiram Johnson High School