FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 31, 2006
Labor Commissioner adds new phone lines to answer frequent public questions
San Francisco - The California Department of Industrial Relation's Division of Labor Standards Enforcement Department (DLSE) has installed pre-recorded information telephone lines in all district offices. The public will have quick and easy access to information on California labor law, employee and employer's rights and fair employment policies. Frequently asked questions will also be featured.
"The pre-recorded lines are useful in providing valuable 24-hour information, answering many common questions and eliminating the callers' wait time. We will continue to have the regular public information lines in all district offices for those who wish to call and speak with a person," said Robert Jones, acting state labor commissioner for DLSE.
The message has been recorded in Spanish and English. There is also an introductory sentence in Vietnamese, Tagalog, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Korean directing the caller to contact the district office for assistance.
The pre-recorded phone lines contain a wide variety of information and are arranged in the following order:
1) Termination- the payment of final wages to employees when employment is terminated, vacation pay at quit/termination
2) Wage issues-failing to pay minimum wage, overtime, commissions, etc.
3) How to file a claim-simple directions
4) Employee benefits- vacation, sick leave, retirement, holiday pay, medical/health coverage, bereavement leaves, leaves of absence
5) Public works requirements/contractors license
6) Office locations/directions,
7) Issues not handled by DLSE- sexual harassment, unemployment insurance etc.
Effective immediately, the pre-recorded lines are operational for all of the
following district offices:
El Centro 760-353-2544
Long Beach 562-491-0160
Los Angeles 213-576-6227
|San Bernardino 909-889-8120
San Diego 619-682-7221
San Francisco 415-703-5444
San Jose 408-277-3711
Santa Ana 714-558-4574
Santa Barbara 805-965-7214
Santa Rosa 707-576-2459
Van Nuys 818-908-4556
If the caller still has further questions after listening to the pre-recorded
line, he/she simply disconnects and dials the non-recorded number. Both pre-recorded
and district office numbers are also posted on the DLSE Website: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DistrictOffices.htm.