Apprenticeship: a talent development model designed to grow a workforce customized to your needs
What can an apprentice do for your company?
California’s highly-skilled workforce is aging and replacing those employees can be challenging. Apprenticeships offer you the opportunity to take individuals with raw talent and train them to meet your needs. You save money on recruitment and when apprentices complete their program have a commitment to their profession and loyalty to their educator/employer. That ensures your company a large, diverse, flexible workforce of skilled professionals.
- Eliminates need for expensive recruitment programs; people are already trained.
- Creates a diversified and flexible workforce and a larger pool of employees with specific skills
- Reduces cost of high labor turnover; employees show high morale and loyalty when in a training program that offers upward mobility through career development
- Increases productivity; employees in a structured training program are motivated to achieve
- Uses available local education provider facilities for required related classroom instruction
- Contact the Division of Apprenticeship Standards at www.dir.ca.gov/das/ibuiltit/contact.html and let them guide you in setting up a program, including:
- Understanding how apprenticeship works
- Learning the terms required to meet state standards for education and employment
- Interview other businesses already using apprentices to hear their experiences
- Take advantage of an opportunity in California to gain skilled employees.